Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

Printmaking


Artist statement:
In Art II, our next project in that class was printmaking. We have to do a design that represents a thing or person who influenced us to who we are now. For this piece, the person who changed me the most throughout my entire life in this world was my best friend. To represent her, I decided to do something that she likes (for this, it's the wolf) and her personality along with it. What I did first was outlining the designs on a block of wood/linoleum using a pencil. After that, once I figure out what to carve out and what to keep, I use the gouge to carve out the wood/linoleum. After working for a couple of days carving everything that I need to carve, I began to start inking my artwork. Setting the inking plate and brayer down, I add a little bit of ink onto the inking plate and smooth it with the brayer, rolling it down till the ink is completely flat. Once I have the brayer covered in ink, I roll it out onto the wood/linoleum and set it on a piece of paper. Burnishing the back of the block, I slowly remove it from the paper and created one of the printmaking. I did this a few times in order to get a nice piece out of it. The main focal point of this piece is the wolf and the fog and trees as the background to represent a more mysterious, brave, and bright feeling towards the artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment